McDonald's Privacy Statement
Last updated: Effective on or after March 13, 2017. Please check back for the last updated date.
This privacy statement describes how we – McDonald's Corporation – collect, use, protect and share the personal information of our customers. Customers include those who visit our restaurants, use our websites and mobile apps, and otherwise interact with us.
Many of our restaurants are owned and operated by franchisees, who are independent businessmen and women. This privacy statement does not apply to our franchisees or to websites or mobile apps they operate. Please see our franchisees' privacy notices for information on how they use customer information.
- Information we collect
- How we use the information we collect
- How we share the information we collect
- Children's privacy notice
- Your choices
- Use of our online serices and other technology
- Links to our website and social media
- Information security
- Changes to our privacy statement
- How to contact us
1. Information we collect
We may collect personal information about you when you visit our restaurants, use our websites or mobile apps ("online services"), and otherwise interact with us. The information we collect falls into three categories: (a) information you provide us; (b) information we collect through automated methods, and (c) information we collect from other sources.
We may combine the information you provide us, with information that is collected through automated methods, and with information we receive from other sources.
We collect information you provide us
You may provide the following information to us:
- personal details, such as your name, postal and email addresses, phone number, date of birth and other contact information, when you register with our online services, log-in to Wi-Fi, enter one of our competitions, or contact us by phone or through our online services;
- transaction information, including information about the products you buy, prices, method of payment and payment details;
- account information, such as your username or password (or anything else that identifies you) used to access our online services or to buy or use our products and services;
- profile information, including products and services you like, or times you prefer to visit us; and
- other personal information you choose to give us when you interact with us.
We collect information through automated methods
We may use automated technology to collect information from your computer system or mobile device when you visit our restaurants, use our online services, or in-restaurant technology. Automated technology may include cookies, local shared objects, and web beacons. There is more information below about cookies and other technologies.
We may collect information about your:
- internet protocol (IP) address;
- computer or mobile-device operating system and browser type;
- type of mobile device and its settings;
- unique device identifier (UDID) or mobile equipment identifier (MEID) for your mobile device;
- device and component serial numbers;
- advertising identifiers (for example, IDFAs and IFAs) or similar identifiers;
- referring website (a site that has led you to ours) or application;
- online activity on other websites, applications, or social media;
- communications to us or regarding us on social media; and
- activity related to how you use our online services, such as the pages you visit on our sites or in our mobile apps.
Our online services and in-restaurant technology may collect information about the exact location of your mobile device or computer using geolocation and technology such as GPS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or cell tower proximity. For most mobile devices and computer systems, you are able to withdraw your permission for us to collect this information by using the device or web-browser settings. If you have any questions about how to prevent us from collecting exact information about your location, we recommend you contact your mobile-device service provider, the device manufacturer, or your web-browser provider. Some online services and in-restaurant technology may not work properly without information about your location. If you would like us to delete information we have collected which could identify your location, please contact us at the address, phone number or email address below. By law, we may need to keep certain information.
We collect information from other sources
We may collect information about you from other companies and organizations. We may also collect information that is publicly available. For example, we may collect information about you when you interact with us through social media.
2. How we use the information we collect
We may use the information we collect to:
- carry out your requests, fulfill orders, and process payments for our products and services;
- tell you about our products and services, competitions, offers, promotions or special events that we believe may interest you (if you give us permission to do so);
- tell you about the products and services of our business partners (if you give us permission to do so);
- communicate with you about your orders, purchases or accounts with us, requests, questions, and comments;
- personalize your experience in our restaurants and on our online services,
- manage our business, including developing new products and services, conducting consumer research, and assessing the effectiveness of our sales, marketing, and advertising;
- maintain, manage, and improve our products, offers, promotions, and online services and other technology;
- protect against, identify and prevent fraud and other crime, claims and other liabilities; and
- comply with applicable law.
We may use the information we collect about you in other ways, which we will tell you about at the time we collect it or for which we will seek your consent.
3. How we share the information we collect
We do not sell your personal information and only share your information as described in this privacy statement.
We may share your information within the McDonald's Family. The McDonald's Family includes McDonald's Corporation, our affiliates, our subsidiaries, and our franchisees. Members of the McDonald's Family who receive this information from us are not authorized to use or share the information, except as set out in this privacy statement.
We may share your information with vendors who provide services to us, such as fulfilling orders, providing data processing and other information technology services, managing promotions, contests, prize draws and sweepstakes, carrying out research and analysis, and personalizing individual McDonald's customer experiences. We do not allow these vendors to use this information or to share it for any purpose other than to provide services on our behalf.
We may, for strategic or other business reasons, decide to sell or transfer all or part of our business. As part of that sale or transfer, we may pass information we have collected and stored, including customer information, to anyone involved in the sale or transfer.
There may be times where we may share information when it does not directly identify you. For example, we may share anonymous, aggregated statistics about your use of our online services. Or we may combine information about you with other customers and share the information in a way that does not link to a specific customer.
We have the right to use or share information as necessary to keep to any law, regulation or legal request, to protect our online services and in-restaurant technology, to bring or defend legal claims, to protect the rights, interests, safety and security of our organization, our employees or franchisees, or members of the public, or in connection with investigating fraud or other crime, or violations of our policies.
4. Children's privacy notice
We understand how important it is to protect your privacy when you use our online services. We are especially committed to protecting the privacy of children who visit or use our online services. This section 4 (children's privacy notice) is designed to answer your questions about how we use the personal information we collect from children under the age of 13 when they use our online services.
A. What personal information do you collect?
We offer many features on our sites, such as games and coloring books, which children do not have to provide any personal information. However, sometimes we may collect personal information, such as an email address, a postal address or phone number, from your child as part of an activity.
Here are two examples of information we collect.
- We may collect your child's email address so that we can tell them if they have won or lost a contest, competition, prize draw or sweepstake. We will tell them using the email address they have given us. We will not keep the email address beyond its expiration or use it for any other purpose.
- We may collect your child's email address to respond to a one-off request from them, such as to send them a screen saver. In these cases we will promptly delete their email address from our system once we have replied to them, and we will not use the address for any other purpose.
We will not collect other personal information from a child under the age of 13 without the permission of a parent or guardian. If we need this permission, we will collect your email address so we can tell you how we use information and get your permission to collect information from your child.
We will only ask a child for information that is reasonably necessary for them to take part in any online activity.
B. How do you use the personal information you collect?
We use the email address your child gives us to respond to requests or to tell them if they have won or lost a contest, competition, prize draw or sweepstake they have entered. We will use your email address to give you details about how we use personal information or to get your permission.
C. How do you share personal information?
We may share your child's personal information with other people or organizations if it is reasonably necessary, in the following circumstances.
- To protect the security or integrity of our online services.
- To take precautions against liability.
- If we have to reveal the information by law or in response to requests from government authorities.
- When we believe sharing the information is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss.
- In connection with an investigation of suspected or actual crime.
We also may share your child's personal information with vendors (those who provide services for us). These services may include hosting our sites, providing technical services, meeting requests or managing a contest, competition, prize draw, or sweepstake. We do not allow these vendors to share the personal information we give them unless it is necessary for them to carry out the service for us.
D. Requests from parents about protecting children's privacy
You can see personal information we have collected from your child that has not been deleted, and can ask us to delete personal information from our records if we have not already done so. You can also refuse to allow us to further collect or use your child's personal information, even if you have previously given us your permission. To do this, please phone us or email or write to us (our contact details are below).
E. Who should I contact with questions about children's privacy?
We urge parents to regularly monitor and supervise their children's online activities. If you have any questions about our children's privacy practices, please contact us at:
Privacy at McDonald's
2915 Jorie Boulevard
Oak Brook, IL 60523, USA
5. Your choices
If you have agreed to receive marketing communications from us, you can later opt out by following the opt-out instructions in the marketing communications we send you. You can also generally find your communication preferences with instructions on how to opt out in the profile section of the online services that you use. You may also have the ability to change your communication preferences using your device settings. You can also opt out by contacting us at the address, phone number or email address below. If you do opt out of receiving marketing communications from us, we may still send communications to you about your transactions, any accounts you have with us, and any contests, competitions, prize draws or sweepstakes you have entered. Opting out of one form of communication does not mean you've opted out of other forms as well. For example, if you opt out of receiving marketing emails, you may still receiving marketing text messages if you've opted in to receiving them. Please note that if you are receiving communications from a McDonald's franchise, then you will need to opt out from them directly.
We do not share personal information with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes, unless you give us permission to do so. When we give you notice, and you consent, we will share your personal information as you direct us to.
We keep your information for the length of time needed to carry out the purposes outlined in this privacy statement and to adhere to our policies on keeping records (unless a longer period is needed by law).
You are in control of any personal information you provide to us through our online services. If at any time, you would like to correct the personal information we have about you, please contact us at the address, phone number or email address below.
Notice to California residents under 18 years of age
If you are a registered user of online services under the age of 18, and we have actual knowledge of your age, then under California law you may request and obtain removal of certain content or information you have posted on our online services. To do so, please contact us at the address, phone number or email address below. Please note that removal does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content. For example, removal may not be possible or permitted if another provision of law requires the content to be maintained, if it was posted or reposted by others, or if we paid compensation to you in exchange for the posting.
6. Use of our online services and other technology
Cookies and other technologies
A "cookie" is a small text file that is placed onto an Internet user's web browser or device and is used to remember and/or obtain information about the user.
A "web beacon" is a small object or image that is embedded into a web page, application, or email and is used to track activity. They are also sometimes referred to as pixels and tags.
Please note the following:
- You might be assigned a cookie when using our online services.
- We may use both session (for the duration of your visit) and persistent (for the duration of a fixed period of time) cookies and other tracking technologies.
- Our online services and other areas related to our business may have web beacons.
We may use these technologies to:
- uniquely identify you or your device;
- allow you to access and use our online services, where without them, our online services may not work properly;
- improve our products and services;
- help us monitor the performance (e.g., traffic, errors, page load time, popular sections, etc.) of our online services;
- remember you, for your convenience, when you visit our online services
- help customize your experience;
- to market to you through targeted advertising; and
- for other purposes described in the section of this privacy statement titled, "How we use the information we collect."
For example, we may use certain technologies to determine whether you have opened an e-mail or clicked on a link contained in an e-mail, how you use the pages and content in our mobile apps, or whether you have clicked on a McDonald's online advertisement.
Both we and others (such as our advertising networks) may use these technologies to collect information about your online activities, over time and across third-party websites and devices, and when using our online services to further personalize your experience with us.
Use the options in your web browser if you do not wish to receive a cookie or if you wish to set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie. Click on the "Help" section of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences. If you disable all cookies, you may not be able to take advantage of all the features available on a website.
Some newer web browsers may have a "Do Not Track" preference that transmits a "Do Not Track" header to the websites you visit with information indicating that you do not want your activity to be tracked. McDonald's does not currently take actions to respond to Do Not Track signals because a uniform technological standard has not yet been developed. We continue to review new technologies and may adopt a standard once one is created.
Where video is available on our online services, we may target and track the videos you view. You consent to our tracking of your video viewing through online services or third-party social media for up to two years, or as permitted by applicable law, or until consent is withdrawn.
When you use our online services, we (and our vendors who provide services to us) may collect information about your activities so that we can provide you with advertising tailored to your interests.
You can opt out of targeted advertising by visiting www.aboutads.info/choices or www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp. If you choose to opt out, you will continue to receive advertisements but they will not be tailored to your interests.
7. Links to other websites and social media
We may also have providers of other apps, tools, widgets and plug-ins on our online services, such as Facebook "Like" buttons, which may also use automated methods to collect information about how you use these features. These organizations may use your information in line with their own policies.
8. Information security
We are committed to taking appropriate measures designed to keep your personal information secure. Our technical, administrative and physical procedures are designed to protect personal information from accidental, unlawful or unauthorized loss, access, disclosure, use, alteration, or destruction. While we make efforts to protect our information systems, no website, mobile application, computer system, or transmission of information over the internet or any other public network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
9. Changes to our privacy statement
This privacy statement is in effect as of the date noted at the top of the statement. We may change this privacy statement from time to time. If we do, we will post the revised version here and change the "last updated date" (the date it applies from) at the top of the statement. You should check here regularly for the most up-to-date version of the statement.
10. How to contact us
If you want to contact us about this privacy statement, you can reach us at:
Privacy at McDonald's
2915 Jorie Boulevard
Oak Brook, IL 60523, USA